The SAE-HK, a local group of the Society of Automotive Engineers (originally named), was inaugurated in December 2009. In recognition to the success of the past two-year operations, the SAE-HK Group was approved by the International Activities Committee (IAC) and the SAE Section Board to achieve the SAE-HK section Statues, effective from 1 October 2001. This section is covering the geographical boundary of Hong Kong with more than 100 local members who are professional engineers, entrepreneurs, industrialists and educations dedicated to advancing the engineering of mobility system. For those business executive and industrialists, they are all being engaged in the automotive related business with extensive experiences in business partnership, joint ventures, technology and products development, production and quality management, etc. especially in mainland China. The establishment of the SAE-HK Section is to promote the SAE membership for both industries and academic to facilitate the networking among professionals nationally and internationally, to provide an information services channel and to foster experiences sharing among members so as to increase the momentum of the development of the automotive industry in Hong Kong
The Society of Automotive Engineers – Hong Kong was renamed as SAE (International) Hong Kong in 2009.
- To advance the knowledge of the arts, sciences, standards, and engineering practices connected with the development, design, construction, and use of self-propelled machines, prime movers, and related equipment;
- To preserve and improve the quality of life in the production and use of such mechanisms;
- To maintain a library of publication;
- To promote through meetings, lectures, courses, seminars and the presentation and discussion of scientific and engineering papers a better understanding of such mechanisms;
- To develop technical and scientific reports, including engineering standards and recommended practices, in connection with the development, design, construction and use of such mechanisms, and publish and distribute such reports for the benefit of mankind; and
- Generally to provide for or carry on such other activities as may be necessary, incidental, convenient or desirable to accomplish fully the foregoing purposes.
The vision of SAE is “Advancement of the mobility community to serve humanity”. This includes:
- Capable practitioners worldwide in land, sea, air, space, government, industry and education.
- Improved processes and systems or mobility products life cycles.
- A culture which fosters innovation, creativities, timely response to change, social responsibility, and user satisfaction.